Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Ode to the Past

I think I should be creating more poetry so lets start with this. Following a twitter flurry over a badly named project, Kill The Archivist, I decided I should turn my talents to writing about the archives I work in. To celebrate the inspiring stories and documents held in the collections. This is the first draft of a poem prompted by the idea of minute books being essential in recording the lives of ordinary working men and women. Our history is full of the rich and famous. Studying documents that were written by and about the common man ensures that their struggles, lives, and deaths are not just recounted in history from the perspective of the politicians or big business. This is a poem in first draft but it has hopes of being good one day.


Minutes

Turning the leaves of the past

You find the people

Black dust under the inked skin

This is the frontline now

They won’t stay silent

 

Witness blistered marchers feet

Wrench blood from the ground

Keening again widows’ songs

 

Inking the turns of progress

Remembering pasts

The seasons’ leaves whispering

This is our frontline now

We won’t stay silent

No comments:

Post a Comment