Friday, 12 December 2014

Highlights of Dylan's Year

I made good on my promise to keep the Dylan Thomas malarkey in perspective. Living in Wales has meant an overload of 'stuff'. Frothy stuff. Most of it aimed at tourists. But among the year's celebrations and exploitations there were some gems that I was glad to have experienced. A lot of the enjoyable events have involved friends and colleagues who are talented performers, writers and academics. However, for me, three stood out for the highest quality in production, performance and originality.

Under Milkwood: The Opera - Not an opera fan me I have to say. So the first fifteen minutes were hellish as my brain adjusted. Then Lily Smalls took to the stage. Brilliantly characterized by Helen-Jane Howells who proved herself the consummate actress in all the parts she played that night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu6gWwZk3-M  Similarly impressive was Liz Donovan as Polly Garter who was just as Polly should be, warm and buxom, vulnerable and weary. Her vocals were mesmerizing. http://www.tycerdd.org/recording-studio/label/under-milk-wood-an-opera/listen-purchase

DylanLive: Dylan Thomas, Beat Poetry, Jazz and the Welsh Bards as the first hiphop artists. If only all lectures were like this. Thoroughly entertaining, inspiring and informative. Get a taster and a look behind the scenes here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjsIHpKX6Q8

Caitlin: Everything I could say is said in my New Welsh Review article. http://www.newwelshreview.com/article.php?id=867

Everyone will have had a different expectation of the centenary year. Everyone's tastes and experiences will have differed. These are my moments... what were yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment